careful planning in the Fall can make a big difference in the enjoyment and performance of your Incline
Snow Removal Parking
Washoe County Ordinance No. 998
In order to improve safety and facilitate the removal of snow from the roadway, this ordinance was approved by the Washoe County Commission in 1998. The ordinance prohibits parking in the County roadway and County right of way from November 1 to May 1. The ordinance also prohibits removing snow from private property and placing that snow on the public right of way. It is important to note that this ordinance is in effect NO MATTER WHAT THE WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE. This ordinance will be inforced.
Frozen pipes are one of the most common and costly problems encountered by homes in the mountains. Here are a few tips to prevent frozen pipes:
- Close and seal all vents under the house.
- Protect exposed outside pipes and pipes under the house by insulating them or using heat tape. Both of these products are available at any hardware store.
- If you are leaving your home for a prolonged period of time, it is recommended that you drain your entire water system.
This area frequently experiences power outages. Heavy snowfall often breaks exposed power lines. Here are some tips to prepare for power outages:
- Make sure you have an alternate source of energy and fuel on hand for heating and cooking. Also keep appropriate clothing, blankets and sleepngbags available for warmth.
- Keep flashlights, batteries, matches, oil or gas lanterns and extra fuel where they can be readily found. Flashlights and battery-powered lanterns are preferred because they are safer than oil or gas lanterns.
When expecting a storm, try to store extra water for drinking, washing and cooking.
Know how your roof sheds. It may be necessary to board up windows that become buried under snow. Covering your windows prevents accidental breakage by acting as a stong barrier between the snow and the window.
Woodstove Do's & Dont's
Do have a mason or chimney sweep inspect the chimney for cracks or soot buildup. Have the chimney cleaned once a year.
Do open a window a crack for ventilation to keep the fire burining if these is a draft problem.
Do dispose of hot ashes in a closed metal container outside.
Don't burn paper or other trash in a stove or fireplace. Doing so can start a chimney fire.
Don't use flammable liquids such as charcoal lighter to start a fire. Use kindling or paper.
©2020 SnoPro. All rights reserved.